Discover how delicious healthy food can taste!
The perfect treat for summer when fresh berries are at their peak! Frozen berries can be substituted for fresh, but baking time will be a little longer. The secret to this free-form tart is the layer of ground almonds under the berries. It thickens the juices, preventing a soggy crust, and delivers an exquisite background flavor to the berries.
¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or white whole-wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon canola oil
¼ cup ice water, plus more as needed
1 large egg, separated (save the white to glaze the pastry)
1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar
Filling & Glaze:
¼ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup whole-wheat flour (regular or pastry flour)
¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups mixed fresh or unsweetened frozen berries, such as blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons raspberry, blackberry or blueberry jam
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. To prepare crust: Whisk ¾ cup whole-wheat flower, ¾ cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Add oil and stir with a fork to blend. Mix ¼ cup water, egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup. Stirring with a fork, add just enough of the egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems dry.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 2 days.
2. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. To prepare filling and assemble galette: Spread almonds in a small baking pan. Bake until light golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool. Combine ¼ cup whole-wheat flour, ¼ cup sugar and the toasted almonds in a food processor or blender; process until almonds are ground.
4. If the dough has become stiff from chilling, let it sit at room temperature for about ½ hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a rough 13- to-14-inch circle, about ¼ inch thick. Roll dough back over the rolling pin, brush off excess flour, and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Spread almond mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border around the perimeter. Toss berries with lemon juice in a large bowl; spoon over almond mixture. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons sugar over berries. Fold border up and over the filling, pleating as necessary. Blend the reserved egg white and 1 tablespoon water with a fork in a small bowl; brush lightly over galette rim. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon sugar over crust rim.
5. Bake galette for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF and bake until the crust is golden and crisp, and filling juices are bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Leaving the galette on the parchment, carefully slide onto a wire rack. Let cool.
6. Shortly before serving, melt jam in small saucepan over low heat; brush over berries. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into wedges.
Makes 12 servings.
Per serving: 200 calories, 7 g total fat, (3 g saturated fat), 3 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 25 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 4 g fiber.
Recipe by Patsy Jamieson
Originally published in EatingWell magazine